- 1 Best Car Leather Conditioner Reviews – Top-Picks
- 1.1 1. Leather Honey Leather Conditioner
- 1.2 2. Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Kit
- 1.3 3. Meguiar’s G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner
- 1.4 4. Coconix Professional Leather and Vinyl Upholstery Repair Kit
- 1.5 5. Lexol Leather Conditioner and Leather Cleaner Kit
- 1.6 6. TriNova Leather Cleaner
- 1.7 7. Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner
- 1.8 8. Furniture Clinic Leather Recoloring Balm
- 1.9 9. Strongman Tools 28 Piece Leather Repair Pro
- 1.10 10. Weiman Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
- 2 Car Leather Conditioner Buying Guide
- 3 Benefits of Using a Leather Conditioner
- 4 How to Clean Leather Interior
- 5 Leather Cleaner and Conditioner FAQs
- 6 Best Car Leather Conditioners Comparison Chart
- 7 Wrap Up
Did you know that cleaning your leather seats with soap and water could ultimately deteriorate them over time? If you don’t find the best car leather cleaner and conditioner to maintain your leather car interior, chances are, it will dry out and crack. Over time it will be nearly impossible to recover the leather texture and color.
Our team has compiled a complete leather conditioner review to help you find the ideal product for your interior. As all car interiors come in all colors, textures, and materials, so do the products developed to maintain them looking like new. Usually, finding one requires a lot of trial and error, but we have put together the best on the market in hopes to make this process a little less painful.
Below you find an extensive list of highly-rated products on the market for leather maintenance. Also, we have gathered all the useful information on selecting the ideal leather cleaner and conditioner, their proper use, and overall maintenance of your leather interior. Enjoy!
Best Car Leather Conditioner Reviews – Top-Picks
The market is flooded with leather cleaning, maintenance, and protection products. So much so that people are having a hard time finding the right product for them. Usually, this results in disappointment because they have not researched the product properly, or it is simply not suitable for their particular leather interior.
Without further ado, after extensive research, we’ve gathered 10 of the best leather cleaners, conditioners, and repair kits on the market.
Leather Honey Leather Conditioner
|View On Amazon|
Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Kit
|View On Amazon|
Meguiar’s G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner
|View On Amazon|
Coconix Professional Leather and Vinyl Upholstery Repair Kit
|View On Amazon|
Lexol Leather Conditioner and Leather Cleaner Kit
|View On Amazon|
1. Leather Honey Leather Conditioner
This non-toxic leather conditioner is available in 8 oz., 16 oz., 32 oz., 64 oz., and 128 oz. bottles. We recommend you start with the smallest bottle until you are confident it is the right one for your car interior. Apply the Leather Honey Leather Conditioner after a thorough cleaning of your leather interior to soften weathered leather and protect and extend the life of new leather.
For best results apply after the leather is dry after cleaning. Apply the product evenly using circular motions and do not scrub. Once you have buffed it in, allow the conditioner to soak for 24 hours. After, use a clean microfiber cloth to wipe excess product.
It does not contain any petroleum by-products, wax, or mineral oils. It is also one of the few products that are water repellent. It is made in the US and is one of the most trusted products we’ve found. It is more expensive than the rest, but you know you are paying for a quality product.
- Does not discolor stitching
- Does not lighten or darken leather
- Water repellent – further adding to the protection of leather
- No petroleum byproducts, wax, or mineral oils
- No UV protection
- Hard and messy to apply – very thick
- May not penetrate treated leather
2. Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Kit
Developed by one of the most reliable names when it comes to car detailing, the Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner kit is available in three different options. You can purchase either two-4 oz. bottles, two-16 oz. containers, or the 9-item kit. The kit includes two 16 oz. bottles of Leather Cleaner and Conditioner, one 4 oz. Leather Quick Detailer, three microfiber towels, a horsehair brush, and two applicators.
This excellent all-in-one product works on all-natural leather, durable sealed leather, and synthetic leather. You can use it not only on your leather seats but also on the steering wheels, door panels, shift knobs, and much more. A great product goes a long way.
Developed especially for car detailing, it will help protect new leather from deteriorating. Its pH-balanced oil will help lift any grease, oils, dirt, sweat, and anything else that may end up on your beautiful car interior damaging the leather.
- Doesn’t discolor leather
- Full leather cleaning and maintenance kit
- Very easy to apply
- Great smell – initially a little strong
- No toxins or detergents
- Doesn’t protect from UV rays
- Does not last very long – needs regular reapplication
- Horsehair brush is not high quality
3. Meguiar’s G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner
The 610916 Gold Class Rich Leather all-in-one cleaner and conditioner gets the job done in one easy step. The 3-in-1 formula cleans, conditions, and protects your car interior. It doesn’t leave a shiny surface that stains clothes, although it leaves the leather too slick.
The formula of this product is non-greasy, so it will clean, but will not leave a white residue or sticky surface. The best part of this product is the UV protection that protects the leather from cracking, drying, fading, or premature aging. This makes it ideal for protection of new leather, as well as conditioning and maintenance of old leather.
Keep in mind that this product is specifically for genuine leather, so it will not work on faux leather or vinyl. It is one of the most inexpensive products on the list, but the results are worth it.
- 3-in-1 formula cleans, conditions, and protects
- Maintains original leather color
- UV protection
- Excellent leather conditioning
- Makes leather slippery – goes away after use
- Does not clean set-in stains
- Leaky bottle
4. Coconix Professional Leather and Vinyl Upholstery Repair Kit
Along with cleaning and conditioning for proper interior maintenance, you sometimes need to do some repairs. The Coconix Professional Leather and Vinyl Upholstery Repair Kit is just what you need. Accidents happen, take action before the damage is beyond repair.
This kit will help repair everything from cigarette burns to small and medium holes. It will also help make scratches and other marks disappear entirely. The kit comes with clear instructions and is ready to use. You don’t have to have heating tools or anything else for that matter. Just open the kit and attack the problem at hand.
The Color Mixing Guide is the easiest we have found so far. If you do face issues matching the color of your interior perfectly, their customer service is very cooperative. They will help you in the entire process and answer any questions you may have.
- Kit has everything necessary
- Many colors included for perfect color matching
- Quality materials
- Helpful customer service
- Small quantities of each color – may run out quickly
- If not correctly applied damage may reappear in time
- Not suitable for matte leather as results are usually more glossy
5. Lexol Leather Conditioner and Leather Cleaner Kit
Our next product has you fully covered. With the Lexol Leather Conditioner and Leather Cleaner Kit you will have everything needed to clean, maintain, and protect your car leather interior. The kit contains an 8 oz. bottle of All Leather Deep Cleaner, an 8 oz. bottle of All Leather Deep Conditioner, and two Premium Applicator Sponges.
Application of both products is effortless. Use block sponge with the cleaner, while the round one is for the leather conditioner for car seats. It is free of oils, waxes, and any unnecessary harmful additives and chemicals that may discolor or damage leather. This product is only for genuine leather and will not work on other surfaces.
The bottles dispense the perfect amount of product, preventing spills. Once applied, it is simple to spread and wipe clean. The conditioner revitalizes leather interior, leaving a natural look without residue or excess shine. Their instructions could have been better, but overall, it does a great job considering the affordable price.
- Easy application
- No shiny or glossy residue
- Does not lighten or darken leather
- There is an initial strong smell that goes away over time
- Incomplete instructions as to how much product is necessary
TriNova Leather Cleaner
|View On Amazon|
Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner
|View On Amazon|
Furniture Clinic Leather Recoloring Balm
|View On Amazon|
Strongman Tools 28 Piece Leather Repair Pro
|View On Amazon|
Weiman Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
|View On Amazon|
6. TriNova Leather Cleaner
TriNova is another familiar name in the detailing industry, making this product more trusted than most. The TriNova Leather Cleaner does not compromise the sheen or feel of the leather while cleaning residue, grime, and stains.
This product is suitable not only for genuine leather but also for vinyl and plastic, making it ideal for full car interior service. Its balanced pH compound lifts dirt gently without using harsh toxins or detergents, which can age leather prematurely. It’s the perfect product to prepare the car interior for your chosen conditioner.
If your car seats are of perforated leather, it will not clog the pores or cause excessive buildup. The critical thing to remember is to never apply the product directly to the leather. It can get deep in the perforations of the leather, making it difficult to clean. This may also cause stains or discoloration where the product was not evenly spread.
- Cleans genuine leather, vinyl, and plastic
- No harmful chemicals or toxins
- Suitable for perforated leather
- Dries leather if not followed by conditioner
- There is a strong smell that may cause eye irritation
- The spray head of the bottle leaks
7. Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner
Although a conditioner, surprisingly it also does an excellent job cleaning. The Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner offers much more than just conditioning of natural and faux leather. Available in 2 oz., 8 oz., and 16 oz. bottles, it will maintain your natural leather color, all the while reconditioning it.
It’s important to note that the product is not suitable for distressed, pre-treated, or napped leather. Its clear consistency makes it a great choice if you have white genuine leather seats. However, until it fully dries and soaks in it may give your leather a slightly darker tint.
After applying the conditioner the leather will feel soft and smooth. You will have to reapply often as the leather soaks it in rather quickly. However, with its easy to apply bottle and easy to follow instructions, this won’t be too difficult. This is also a great product to try beyond your car interiors, such as leather accessories, clothes, and furniture.
- Barely smells – slightly like vinegar that goes away after a while
- Does not discolor white stitching
- No shiny or glossy residue
- Does not contain silicone
- Consistency of water
- Not long-lasting effect
8. Furniture Clinic Leather Recoloring Balm
If you feel that the color of your leather interior has lost its youthful look, this product is perfect for you. Give your leather seats a face-lift using the Furniture Clinic Leather Recoloring Balm. Either keep the original color or change the tone a bit, it’s as simple as applying a conditioner.
This product comes in 21 different color choices in 8.5 oz. containers, so you can easily match it to any interior color. After thoroughly cleaning the leather you have to buff in the 100% colorfast balm in a circular motion. This will revitalize it, remove scratches, and protect the surface. We recommend you use the Leather Protection Cream after to add further protection.
Before purchasing confirm that your leather is absorbent. You can test this by putting a small drop of water onto the leather. If it soaks in the water, then this is a suitable product for your interior. Do not use on perforated leather because it will clog the pores.
- 21 different colors
- Removes scratches and fading
- Blends perfectly
- Easy to use
- Not water resistant
- Not suitable for perforated leather
- May flake in time if Leather Protection Cream not added or instructions not followed
9. Strongman Tools 28 Piece Leather Repair Pro
This very affordable kit comes with everything you will ever need to repair small to large holes, cuts, and tears in the leather. The Strongman Tools 28 Piece Leather Repair Pro – The Complete Professional Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit has 7 bottles of premium quality waterproof 3M paint. With this kit you get an extra-large backing fabric, two bottles of adhesive, 2-in-1 touch-up and restore, and more.
Using this complete kit you can repair tears, cuts, holes, scratches, and peeling leather. It doesn’t require heating as it dries naturally. The different color options allow for endless color combinations to match the leather.
You may need some assistance from their customer service to get the right color to match. Although it’s claimed to repair large holes, it seems they open up after a while. This may require more experience in patching to get it right. Therefore we recommend you use it only if you have small holes or rips for patching.
- Ready to use repair kit
- 7 colors included to match the interior
- Extra-large backing fabric for multiple repairs
- Great customer service
- May peel when closing large holes
- Color matching difficult – darker when dry
10. Weiman Leather Cleaner and Conditioner
The last product on our list offers 2-in-1 cleaning and conditioning of leather. The Weiman Leather Cleaner and Conditioner is available in a 12 oz. bottle. It will remove mild stains, then moisturize and protect the leather.
It is composed of all-natural oils and cleaners, so no harsh chemicals to damage leather. The best thing about this product is that the conditioner has 15 UVX sunscreen protection. This will protect the leather from cracking and drying from the sun.
It is straightforward to use. Simply apply using a clean microfiber cloth and buff with a circular motion to condition. Allow it to soak in and wipe off the excess.
They recommend use only on finished leather surfaces. This means that it can be used not only in your car but in your home also. With that said, if the leather is unfinished, it may leave stains or damage the leather.
- UVX 15 sunscreen protection
- 2-in-1 leather maintenance
- Easy to apply and use
- Pleasant lemon scent
- Not suitable for set-in stains
- Spray head on bottle leaks
- Not ideal for untreated leather
Proper car interior maintenance requires knowledge. Before you start shopping around for a product, make sure you know what you will be cleaning. Find the questions you need to be asking and answers below.
Car Leather Conditioner Buying Guide
As mentioned above, knowledge is everything. You can’t find the right product if you don’t know what material you will be working on. It would be best if you first answered some essential questions about your interior. This way, you will know what to look for in the products you need to buy.
What to Consider Before Buying a Car Leather Conditioner?
Before looking for a product, answer the following questions:
- Are the car seats genuine leather, faux leather, synthetic, or vinyl?
- Is the leather pre-treated, sealed, exotic, or finished?
- Is the leather absorbent? (check by adding a drop of water to leather)
- Is there white stitching?
- What color is the leather?
- Is the leather perforated?
Once you’ve answered the above questions, you are ready to find the best cleaner and leather conditioner for cars.
The Most Important Car Leather Conditioner Features & Specifications
There are numerous options out there. With so many products, it’s tough to figure out which one is right for your needs. Once you have answered the above questions, it’s time to select a product that will get the job done.
Here are some key features you should look for. Match them to your answers about your leather interior:
- It has UV protection
- Made of natural minerals and oils
- It cleans the depth of stains you aim to clean
- Doesn’t leave an oily or greasy residue
- It is colorless
- Doesn’t make the leather color lighter or darker
- Is it suitable for your leather: genuine, faux, synthetic, or vinyl
- It is appropriate for your leather finish: natural, pre-treated, finished, or exotic
- The smell is not irritating
- Doesn’t stain clothes
It’s challenging to find a product that offers all the above, but getting at least most points covered will get you closer to finding the perfect leather cleaner and conditioner.
Should You Buy a Separate or All-in-One Car Leather Conditioner?
When choosing the right conditioner and cleaner it’s essential to consider whether you will maintain new leather interior, or reconditioning old leather. There are benefits to both options, but the all-in-one is slightly weaker in cleaning set-in stains.
- Select individual products based on how much set-in dirt and damage there is
- More concentrated on restoration and protection of leather
- Can select products more specific to your leather type
- More time consuming – you must clean first, wait to dry, and then condition leather
- More expensive as you have to buy two separate products
- Faster results – waiting between cleaning and conditioning is unnecessary
- Designed to do both surface cleaning and conditioning at once
- More versatile because you can use it on more types of surfaces
- Doesn’t work as well on set-in stains
- May not have the same long-lasting effect
If the leather is relatively new, doesn’t have set-in stains or drying, an all-in-one product may be used for regular maintenance. For older leather that requires deeper cleaning and conditioning separate products that cater to the specific problems of the leather are recommended.
Benefits of Using a Leather Conditioner
Although most people regularly clean their leather interior, they often overlook conditioning. Cleaning is just the first step. If not followed by a proper conditioner, this can quickly dry out the leather. This speeds up the aging process. The benefits of using a car leather conditioner go beyond just protection. It can restore it as well.
Finding and using the best leather conditioner for your car is essential to protecting and maintaining your leather interior. It will help restore the original color and texture of the leather. If your leather is new and doesn’t show signs of wear, it will extend its life. If the leather already shows signs of aging conditioning will revitalize it and protect it in the future.
Did you know that the sun causes more damage to leather than wear? If the conditioner you use has UV protection will save you a lot of time and effort. Regular application of conditioner with UV protection is key to keeping your leather looking new.
- Revitalizes old leather
- Reverses discoloration
- Reduces cracking and drying
- Protection from sun damage
- Lengthens the life of the leather
- Protects new leather from future damage
This is all possible because the conditioner adds the much-needed oils and minerals to leather. By moisturizing the leather it softens it, making cracks and discoloration less visible. When these oils and minerals set in, they protect it from further damage. This is why regular application is essential.
How to Clean Leather Interior
There are many different elements in the interior of a car. One of the most difficult to clean and maintain is the leather, especially the seats. However, if you follow these 6 simple steps, you will clean leather car seats with ease.
6 steps for Cleaning Leather Interior
– Make sure you get deep in the creases of the seat. Push the back down. By doing this, it’s going to be easier to get into the deep crease between the back and seat. This is where most gunk is accumulated. Make sure that while you vacuum you either use a brush piece. If you don’t have one be cautious not to scratch the leather.
– Never spray or apply the cleaner directly onto the leather. Apply it onto a soft bristle brush. Using circular motion gently scrub problem areas, focusing on the creases and where skin and hair touch the leather. A quality cleaner will create a gentle foam over the surface. If there are more set-in stains, allow the cleaner to soak for a few minutes before wiping.
Wipe and Dry with Microfiber Towel
– Remove excess cleaner and dirt using a clean microfiber towel. This will not dry the interior entirely, so allow anywhere between 2-24 hours. Use a second towel if the first one gets dirty. This way, you won’t spread any dirt.
– You must use a clean cloth for this step. Once again, apply the conditioner to the towel rather than to the leather seat. Spread the conditioner generously and evenly using a circular motion to buff it in. Always read the instructions of the product you are using carefully. Usually, 4-6 hours will be necessary for the conditioner to absorb.
– Once again, using a clean and dry microfiber cloth wipe off any excess of the conditioner and wipe until fully dry.
– You aren’t done yet if you want the leather to last, do this every 3 to 6 months. During the summer you may want to do this every month to prevent drying.
One issue we’ve found is that most people aren’t patient with their conditioner. They expect results immediately without waiting for it to soak in. It’s essential to read the instructions on how long you have to leave the conditioner to soak in thoroughly.
Also, make sure the conditioner is suitable for the surface you are working with. While you are waiting for the cleaner and conditioner to do their job, read our upholstery cleaner reviews and buying guide and tackle the rest of the interior.
Car Leather Care Tips
Aside from regular cleaning and conditioning, it’s essential to know how to protect leather car seats from wear. There are several things to consider if you want to keep your leather lasting longer.
- Always park in shaded areas to keep the sun from aging the leather. This may not always be possible, so consider investing in sun shields or even window tints.
- When vacuuming be careful not to scrub, this may scratch or rip the leather.
- Never use cleaners with harsh chemicals. Petroleum solvents, silicone oils, and glossing agents may look good initially but will damage leather over time.
- Never use a towel/sponge/microfiber cloth that you have used with a different product.
- During the summer months condition leather more often.
Having a leather interior is luxurious. However, if it looks scratched, cracked, or discolored, it can take away from the luxury of the vehicle. Even the most expensive car looks old and cheap if the leather seats are weathered.
Leather Cleaner and Conditioner FAQs
There are always many questions when you are looking to do the best that you can for your car. The market offers a lot of different products and advice. This can get frustrating and confusing. We may not cover all of your questions, but here are some that we have found to be most common.
- Q: Can I use cleaner and conditioner on heating/cooling perforated leather seats?
A: You have to be very careful reading the information about the product to make sure the consistency isn’t too thick. Most importantly, when applying the product, always make sure to put it to the cloth first, and then gently onto the leather. This will prevent too much product from going into the holes.
- Q: Are leather cleaners and conditioners suitable for suede?
A: Most seats are not made of this very delicate material, but this question comes up often. Avoid using products that aren’t specifically for use on suede. It has a specific texture. It can be permanently damaged if you use the wrong product on it.
- Q: Does car seat leather really need special cleaners and conditioners?
A: The biggest mistake that most people make is cleaning their leather seats with soap and water. Even worse, using chemicals for other surfaces (such as a window cleaner) on leather.
Doing this can quickly dry out the leather, causing discoloration, cracking, and aging. If you like your leather seats, use quality products specifically developed for them.
- Q: I just bought a new car, do I need to condition the leather or do I wait until I see signs of cracking?
A: This is another common mistake. Leather needs conditioning, regardless if it shows signs of aging. By maintaining your leather from the moment you buy your car, it will stay like new longer. You may not have to deep-clean the leather as often, but it’s important to condition it.
We advise you to condition your leather seats every other time you wash your car. So if you wash it once a week, use a substance on the seats every two weeks. If you want to obtain the top pressure washer for your car, check out our article on the finest products on the market today.
- Q: I have followed all the instructions, but even after conditioning, the leather still seems dry. Why is that?
A: There are a few possible reasons for this. One is that the leather was severely damaged and very dry. Even with the best products out there sometimes it’s necessary to reapply.
Another reason might be that you may have to wait 24 hours for the conditioner to be absorbed entirely if the leather was too dry.
Lastly, are you confident that the product you have purchased is suitable for the leather seats? Perhaps it’s for untreated leather, and it cannot penetrate the surface?
Of course, we cannot cover all possible questions. If we didn’t answer your question, please ask us in the comments below.
Best Car Leather Conditioners Comparison Chart
|Leather Honey Leather Conditioner||$$$||8 oz.||Water repellent Formula||No petroleum byproducts, wax, or mineral oils|
|Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Conditioner Kit||$$$||16 oz ( 2 items )||No toxins or detergents formula||Full leather cleaning and maintenance kit|
|Meguiar’s G10916 Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner||$$||15.2 oz.||3-in-1 formula cleans, conditions, and protects||UV protection / All in one treatment|
|Coconix Professional Leather and Vinyl Upholstery Repair Kit||$$$||N/A||Ready to use formula||Kit has everything necessary|
|Lexol Leather Conditioner and Leather Cleaner Kit||$$||8 oz. ( 2 items )||Complete 2 step formula||Restores and revives leather by lifting dirt and oils|
|TriNova Leather Cleaner||$$||18 oz.||No harmful chemical or toxin Formula||Suitable for perforated leather|
|Bickmore Bick 4 Leather Conditioner||$||8 oz.||Formula is proven to extend the life leather||Does not discolor white stitching / Does not contain silicone|
|Furniture Clinic Leather Recoloring Balm||$$$$||8.5 oz.||Recoloring balm formula||Removes scratches and fading|
|Strongman Tools 28 Piece Leather Repair Pro||$$||N/A||Ready to use formula||7 colors included to match the interior|
|Weiman Leather Cleaner and Conditioner||$||12 oz.||2-in-1 formula||UVX 15 sunscreen protection|
Thank you for sticking around. We hope our review and tips will help you choose the best car leather cleaner. With so many options, it’s easy to get frustrated and impatient, resulting in selecting the wrong product for your leather interior. Take the time to get to know the leather you will be working with to help you choose the best car leather restorer and maintenance product.
We strive to do our research, so you don’t have to. We hope that our cleaner and leather conditioner review will help you find the most suitable product for your needs. Be sure to check out our other useful reviews at CarOutfitter and get the latest news on car maintenance and the best products on the market.
We’d love to hear from you! Please share your thoughts in the comments below! Thanks for reading and as always – stay put!