- 1 Best Octane Booster Reviews (Newest Models)
- 2 How Do Octane Boosters Work?
- 3 Octane Booster Buying Guide
- 4 Best Octane Booster Comparison Chart
- 5 Conclusion
Most motorists don’t know but the gasoline is very unstable if its left to sit for too long and the quality of the fuel varies a lot from station to station and from country to the country. This can affect the modern car engines in lots of ways and often the differences in fuel quality and octane ratings can cause differences in fuel economy and power outputs.
What is the solution to the problem of unstable and less powerful fuel – the octane boosters? Octane boosters are a chemical formula which is added to the fuel and stabilizes the fuel giving him the higher octane rating in order to maximize the potential of the engine and prevent any potential mechanical problems. Follow our best octane booster reviews, buying guide and “how to“ article in order to learn all there is on octane boosters and find the right choice to suit needs of your car.
- Klotz Octane Booster
- PRICE $$$
- DIMENSION : 7.5 x 2.8 x 2.8 inches
- WEIGHT: 1.1 pounds
- VOLUME : 16 oz.
- Lubegard 77012 Fuel System Octane Booster
- PRICE $$
- DIMENSION : 2.6 x 2.6 x 7.7 inches
- WEIGHT : 1.1 pounds
- VOLUME : 16 oz.
- Royal Purple Octane Booster and Stabilizer
- PRICE $$$
- DIMENSION : 8 x 2.4 x 2.3 inches
- WEIGHT : 1.1 pounds
- VOLUME : 16 oz.
- Berryman 1512 Octane Booster
- PRICE $$
- DIMENSION : 12 x 5 x 4 inches
- WEIGHT : 13.4 ounces
- VOLUME : 12 oz.
- Motor Medic Octane Booster
- PRICE $
- DIMENSION : 1.7 x 3.3 x 8.3 inches
- WEIGHT : 12.5 ounces
- VOLUME : 12 oz.
- RACE-GAS Race Fuel Concentrate 100 to 105 Octane Booster
- PRICE $$$$
- DIMENSION : 3.2 x 3.2 x 9 inches
- WEIGHT : 1.9 pounds
- VOLUME : 32 oz.
Best Octane Booster Reviews (Newest Models)
1. Klotz Octane Booster 16 oz.Affordable price and compact package are the main characteristics of Klotz octane booster. It’s concentrated tetraethyl lead substitute formulated to increase the octane rating.
The manufacturers suggest that this product will eliminate engine damaging detonation, spark knock, pre-ignition, and ping from low-octane gasoline and it helps the burn speed and flashes point of gasoline to create a stable combustion chamber flame front, maximizing performance, and power.
This is an octane booster without any fuel stabilization characteristic so potential buyer should know that. The users reported no issues with Klotz octane booster and also reported that the customers are satisfied with its performance delivering on the promise. It is recommended product mainly because of its price and specifications.
2. Lubegard 77012 Fuel System Octane Booster 16 oz.Another affordable product with good specifications is Lubegard 77012 which can be used on all engine types and on gasoline and diesel powered engines.
This is 3 in 1 type of product and it combines fuel system cleaner with octane booster and fuel stabilization fluid. Nice concept but we are little suspicious about its performance since those are three different kinds of chemical compounds and combining it in one is hard to believe although user experience is generally positive.
The manufacturer suggests it contains a unique proprietary polyether amine (PEA) detergent technology, the most effective chemistry for total fuel system clean-up that outperforms competitors. The proprietary FLA additive provides lubrication of fuel pumps and injectors and stabilizes the fuel during storage. However, for this price you should give it a try.
3. Royal Purple Octane Booster and Stabilizer – 16 oz.Another multitalented product is Royal Purple’s 11757 which is octane booster and fuel stabilizer in the same time and it comes in affordable and compact package with good manufacturer’s reputation.
It has a formula that replaces lead additives the for protection of non-hardened valve seats which is good to know since it protects the heads of the engine and makes them last longer without repairs. It raises octane rating up to 30 points or 3 numbers and restores power and fuel economy while cleaning deposits from fuel injectors.
It is designed to work with the engines equipped with carburetors, port fuel injection, and direct injection, as well as turbocharged, supercharged and nitrous injected engines. Safe for use in leaded and unleaded gasoline’s, and alternate fuels like gasohol, reformulated gasoline, and all ethanol blends. We recommend this product since it is even protective against phosphorus poisoning of catalytic converters.
4. Berryman 1512 Octane Booster – 12 oz.The Berryman’s 1512 octane booster is affordable and recommended product which features MMT to increase the octane value of all grades of conventional and reformulated gasoline. It also helps prevent rough idle, stalling, after-run, knock and ping and catalytic converter and oxygen sensor safe.
It is also designed for all types of engines, gasoline and diesel powered. The compact package, good specifications, and user reviews help us recommend this product with confidence and it has proven itself in various applications not only with regular cars but with some high-performance models as well.
5. Motor Medic Octane Booster – 12 oz.The Motor Medic by Gunk is really cheap octane booster fluid which comes in a small package and has two main purposes. One is boosting of octane level in the fuel and other is cleaning the combustion chamber and fuel system.
There is no fuel stabilization formula with this product and users reported that the Motor Medic works really well in many cases in low performance as well as high-performance vehicles.
Very cheap price and good reputation are enough for us to recommend this product the for use not only in the car but even for some machines such as lawnmowers or jet skies.
6. RACE-GAS Race Fuel Concentrate 100 to 105 Octane BoosterFor advanced users and people that need high octane fuel for their race cars, high-powered boats or small airplanes there is specific octane booster which helps bring the RON number of pump gas to 100 or 105 RON in order for high-performance engines to work properly.
Laboratory proved to raise the octane, chemical energy and oxygen of pump gas to equal race fuel. Will not harm catalytic converters, O2 sensors or fuel system components and does not contains alcohol. It is a little pricier than the regular octane booster but then again you do get a 100 to 105 RON fuel which is very in demand and high-performance machines could not operate without it so it is well worth the price.
How Do Octane Boosters Work?
In order to explain to you how the octane boosters work we first must explain what is the octane index and what does it mean. The octane number is basically the measure of performance of the fuel. The higher the octane number, the better and it means that the fuel can withstand more compression before detonating inside the cylinder chambers.
Modern gasoline powered vehicles use fuel with octane ratings of 91 RON (Research Octane Number), 95 RON and 98 RON. There is also a 100 RON fuel but it is the high-performance type of fuel which is suited for race cars and similar machines and is not for wide use in regular passenger cars. Since this standard fuel types are common for decades, all manufacturers produce vehicles according to this standards.
However, the problems are when the fuel is not up to the standards and it has less than 91 RON index. It can happen for various reasons. Bad mixture straight from the oil refinery, water in the fuel or some chemical instability from long-term sitting in the barrel. In any case, fuel with less RON than can cause engine problems, most notably engine knocking.
If the disbalance of engine specifications and fuel used is big, the engine knocking can be severe and cause big damage. Most modern engines have a knock sensor a device that monitors the quality of the fuel and alters engine management specifications in order to avoid engine knocking. However, despite this engine will be under stress and perform less than it should with higher fuel economy if you use weak fuel with insufficient octane number.
In this case, octane booster is needed and it brings the RON octane index to the wanted level ensuring that the engine will work properly without fear of engine knocking, loss of performance or the high fuel economy. Some of the octane boosters on the market have a fuel stabilizer function which means that they will keep fuel stable and up to standards for long periods of time since the fuel itself will lose some its characteristics after sitting for more than a month in a tank or a barrel.
Using an octane booster is very simple and similar to the use of fuel injectors cleaning fluid. Just add the contents of the bottle to your tank and that is it.
Octane Booster Buying Guide
There are only a couple tips on buying an octane booster and it is relatively easy to find the right one for your car.
3 Tips to Help You Choose the Right Octane Booster
- Don’t Get Fooled By Advertisements
The octane booster is not some magical addition to your fuel which will make your car fly so don’t get fooled by ads and promises. The octane boosters on the marked added 5% more octane values to your fuel and that is the highest amount there is. The average is around 3% improvement over existing RON rating. But that is enough to prevent the engine from knocking.
- Do Not Expect A Big Improvement In Performance
You will get a slightly better performance of your car but nothing significant and noticeable. On the other hand, what you will note is that your engine will work smoothly and fuel economy will be better. In some cases, throttle response will be better also.
- Choose Octane Booster According To Your Car
Different engines have different specifications and use different fuel ratings. If you have small, low-performance engine which is not high revving unit mostly you do not need an octane booster but if you got a big, high-performance engine and high engine, octane booster is very important. The higher the octane value is the more you need the octane boosters to keep it on the wanted level.
Best Octane Booster Comparison Chart
|Klotz Octane Booster||$$$||7.5 x 2.8 x 2.8 inches||1.1 pounds||16 oz.|
|Lubegard 77012 Fuel System Octane Booster ||$$||2.6 x 2.6 x 7.7 inches||1.1 pounds||16 oz.|
|Royal Purple Octane Booster and Stabilizer||$$$||8 x 2.4 x 2.3 inches||1.1 pounds||16 oz.|
|Berryman 1512 Octane Booster ||$$||12 x 5 x 4 inches||13.4 ounces||12 oz.|
|Motor Medic Octane Booster||$||1.7 x 3.3 x 8.3 inches||12.5 ounces||12 oz.|
|RACE-GAS Race Fuel Concentrate 100 to 105 Octane Booster||$$$$||3.2 x 3.2 x 9 inches||1.9 pounds||32 oz.|
The octane booster is simple yet effective car care product which helps balance octane ratings of your fuel for best performance and longer life of your engine.
However, there are few things you should know before choosing the octane booster and this is why you should read our buying guide and explanation article as well as our octane booster reviews. So, you can learn all there is to the topic of octane and find the best octane booster for you and your car.